May 23, 2011

WHAT I'M READING

After five years, I finally finished my bachelors degree in journalism. As glad, and relieved, as I am, my days now consist of going to bed at 5:00 a.m., waking up at 1:00 p.m. and being a vegetable the rest of the day, except for the days when I actually do something good for my life and go to work as an intern. This past week, though, I decided that if I was going to be lazy, I might as well read and not let my brain rot. Here are the books I've started reading:



Tina Fey is hilarious in this book! It's like an autobiography, and she tells the most awkward, funny anecdotes ever. A must read, if you're in need of a good laugh. Here's an excerpt: "Then, it happened. In the spring of 1981 I achieved menarche while singing Neil Diamond's 'Song Sung Blue' at a district chorus concert. I was ten years old. I had noticed something was weird earlier, but I knew from commercials that one's menstrual period was a blue liquid that was poured like laundry detergents onto maxi pads to test their absorbency. This wasn't blue, so... I ignored it for a few hours."



I'll be honest. I've never been interested in any Stephen King literature. In fact, one of my friends has the whole Dark Tower series and they just never did it for me. When I stumbled, a few months ago, onto one of his latest books, Full Dark, No Stars, I was aprehensive, but I gave it a chance. I'm so glad I did. This books is amazing! Its comprised of four small novellas, all dealing with really, really creepy stuff.  The first one is about  a man who, along with his son, murders his wife. Here's an excerpt: "I had cut her throat with the first two slashes, the first time deep enough to show the gristle of her wind-pipe. With the last two I had carved her cheek and her mouth, the latter so deeply that she wore a clown’s grin. It stretched all the way to her ears and showed her teeth. She let loose a gutteral, choked roar, the sound a lion might make at feeding-time. Blood flew from her throat all the way to the foot of the counterpane. I remember thinking it looked like the wine when she held her glass up to the last of the daylight." Jesus, I'm sick.



I'm pretty sure this is going to sound terribly dumb, but before this book, I had no idea that actor Steve Martin was also a writer. I was also surprised to find out what a good one he was! An object of beauty is a novel about a Lacey, a girl who works in the New York art industry, as told through the eyes of Frank.    I've just started reading the story, but it's really captivating and makes you crave for more. Here's an excerpt: "If one of her girlfriends was in a crisis, Lacey would rush in, offering tidal waves of concern. She could soothe or incite in the name of support: "Honey, get over it," or, conversely, "Honey, get even." Either bit of advice was inspiring. The emotions of men, however, were of a different order. They were pesky annoyances, small dust devils at her feet. Her knack for causing heartbreak was innate, but her vitality often made people forgive her romantic misdeeds. Now, however, she is nearing forty and not so easily forgiven as when her skin bloomed like roses."

Seriously, buy them on amazon or put them on your iPad. You will not be disappointed!

No comments: